Oh the weather outside is frightful, but your skin doesn’t need to be! You do however need to switch up your skincare routine, because as temperatures drop, the humidity does too. This makes your skin struggle to retain moisture and stay silky smooth. Warming up inside doesn’t improve the equation, as the warm indoor temperatures causes the moisture in your skin to evaporate and become tight and dry.
This dryness shows up in several different ways including redness, itching, cracked skin, flaky patches, and scaly rashes. While it may be tempting to scratch, try to keep your hands off as scratching only worsens the situation.
What can be done?
- Moisturize: Your summer moisturizer might not be enough for winter conditions. During the winter you need to find a moisturizer that will seal water in the skin and preserve the moisture. An oil-based moisturizer should help keep your skin hydrated. A good practice is to moisturize after every bath or shower while your skin is a bit damp.
- Take Cooler, Shorter Showers: Though it might seem like an odd choice, hot showers can strip your skin of natural oils. And over a longer time in the water, your skin will lose it’s moisture (think of that pruny skin look after a bath).
- Use a Humidifier: Tackle the humidity problem head on by using this device that puts water vapor back into the air. Make sure to keep the humidifier clean as forgoing this step can cause bacteria to grow.
- Drink Water: Go right to the source and give your body the moisture it sorely needs.
- Gently Exfoliate: Go easy on it as to not irritate your skin, but some light exfoliating can remove dead skin cells, eliminating that itchy feeling and allowing your moisturizer to better absorb into your skin.
- Cover Up: Appropriate winter wear such as a hat, coat, and scarf will help project your skin from the cold but also from the cold air stripping your skin’s natural oils.
This winter, leave the flakes to the snow! Take care of your skin and have a beautiful and bright new year!
Bubbles and Botox, Northern Kentucky’s Neurotoxin, Dermal Filler, and Microneedling experts, encourage all customers and clients to take care of their skin this winter. We’re here to help answer any questions you may have about your skin and it’s proper care. Offering a wide range of solutions to your skin care conundrums, Bubbles and Botox works with each client to create a care plan that will help meet your specific skin care goals.
Original Source Content: Arizona Dermatology https://arizonaderm.com/skin-care-tips-for-a-winter-in-arizona/